Translate

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Farmhouse Style- Windmill Wall Decor Distressed with Tattered Angels & Tutorial

Do you love the farmhouse style? I sure do, but sometimes wall decor
can be pricey. I knew I really wanted a windmill wall art piece and 
  I knew I could create one. I gathered up supplies and my favorite colors
of Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists and got creating. Here is a simple tutorial
for you to follow along with me. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy.




Tutorial

Creating the pattern panels
I hand drew my own pattern, but there are patterns/coloring
 pages to use online just pick one that you like. 
Next I traced the pattern onto chipboard and cut it out (I did 7 panels). 
Now glue the chipboard panels down onto tinfoil (yes you heard me right TINFOIL).
It's amazing what you can create with chipboard and tinfoil together. 



Once you glue the chipboard to tinfoil cut around the chipboard 
panel leaving a 1/4 inch boarder all around.
 Wrap the tinfoil around the chipboard with glue.
 Next I covered the back with piece of tinfoil to fit.


Dry Texture: Embossing

Grab your favorite embossing folder and carefully run the
chipboard panel through the embossing machine.
 I had to run it through a couple of times to cover the whole panel
I love how tinfoil looks embossed.
Sand down the top of the chipboard panel after you emboss it, this will
help the Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist to stick to the tinfoil. 


White wash the chipboard panels with Gesso or white paint.
(white wash-brush on paint and wipe it off with a baby wipe, etc.).


Tattered Angels Time

Now onto the FUN PART-Coloring with Tattered Angels
Glimmer Mist. Canvas Corp Brands has a ton of beautiful colors of Glimmer Mist
 for you to choose from. Follow this link to the Canvas Corp Brands Shop, grab
your favorite color of Tattered Angels Glimmer mist


Coloring the Panels

I started by spraying the lightest color down first and worked out to the darkness.
Now it's a good idea to let the mist pool together and blend...dry in between the
layers of glimmer mist...you don't want mud color to happen. 
I think I sprayed and painted with a brush to help move the color, 
I used a heat tool and paper towel to dry and dab off the excess of color. 
(I used many different colors of glimmer mist, you can use two or four colors. It's 
really up to you and the look you are going for.)



Here is what the windmill panels look like once the glimmer mist
is dried. I just love the old time feel it gives using tinfoil.


The windmill blades needed more texture so I grabbed a few
embossing powders and I added a few layers over and over.
Sanded down the melted layers to take away the shine and
 give tooth for the glimmer mist to hang onto.


Here is a photo of the back of the windmill to 
help give depth on the canvas I added chipboard pieces
 around the windmill. 


I created a backdrop onto a canvas using chipboard strips
cover with wood grain pattern papers. Distress edges with
Oxide Ink-Walnut Stain..glue down, off set the paper slats.
To give the faux wood grain look to the background.


After the windmill was attached to the canvas and hung
on the wall I could step back and see where the piece 
needed more texture. I used Metallic-Rubs-ons colors brushed
onto with my fingers, highlighting the textures to help bring them out.



Loving the textures....






Thanks for stopping by today!
For more Tattered Angels Inspiration
 check out the Canvas Corp Brands Blog 

Peggy Lee



Supplies

-Graphite, English Ivy, Curious, Boardwalk,
Mint Julip, Bahama Blue, Sun Sisters, Key Lime Pie,
Dragonfly, Snowy Pine, Bronze
Baseboard-Blue Bird, Leaf
Simply Sheer-Imperial Blue, Baby Blue
Glimmer Mist-Slate and 
Chalkboard-Cornflower Daze (no longer available).

16X20 Canvas
Wood Grain pattern paper
Chipboard
 TinFoil
Sizzix-Tim Holtz-Embossing Folder-Carte Postale
Versa Mark-watermark ink
Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel-Platinum
Ranger-Embossing Powders-Princess Gold and Silver
Ranger-Tim Holtz Oxide Ink-Walnut Stain
Viva-Ferro Special Effect Paste-Graphite
Metallic-Rubs-ons
Aleene's Tacky Glue
3-in-1 Beacon Glue
3D Foam tape
Gesso-white paint
Hot Glue
Heat Tool



No comments:

Post a Comment